Blueberries are sweet, nutritious and wildly popular all over the world.
Quite often they are labeled as “super food,” because they are low in calories and incredibly good for your health.
They are so tasty and convenient that many people usually consider them to be their favorite fruit.
Blueberries contain a type of substance or chemical in it, which is responsible for giving foods like blueberries, cranberries, red cabbage and eggplants their iconic deep red, purple and blue hues of color.
Fresh blueberries are one of the most popular summer treats of all time for everyone to enjoy eating. They are sweet, delicious, succulent, full of nutrients, and they can also be eaten freshly picked as well as incorporated into a variety of recipes.
Benefits of Blueberries
Natural medicine has been long held regarding blueberries and these round purple berries give long-life health benefits that far exceed their tiny size and shape. Native to North America, blueberries are rich in proanthocyanidin which contributes to the blueberry a lot of benefits that include fighting cancer, losing weight and glowing as well as young skin. Blueberries are also rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese and other antioxidants that lead to its various and numerous other health benefits for our body.
Blueberries are one of the most nutrient dense and healthy super foods in the world. It contains of the large levels and a broad range of antioxidants in it.
The iron, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K in blueberries all contribute in to the process of the building and maintaining the bone structure and strength in the body.
Antioxidants help reverse any kind of the damages done by toxins and free radicals. They help your body to defend itself against dangerous pathogens inside your body.
Maintaining a low sodium level in the body as well as intake is essential in lowering the level of blood pressure in the body. Blueberries are naturally free of sodium and it contains potassium, calcium, and magnesium, all of them have been found to decrease the level of the blood pressure if it is high naturally.
Being a natural source of the soluble and insoluble fiber, the blueberries can help regulate our gastrointestinal track by just eating a couple handfuls a day on a regular basis for our good health.
Blueberries also contain folate, which plays a role in DNA synthesis and helps in the process of repairing in the body, hence, it prevents the formation of cancer cells from mutations in the DNA. High fiber foods increase satiety and reduce appetite or hunger level of the body, it makes you feel fuller for longer period of time and thereby, it lowers our overall calorie intake.
Recipe of Blueberries For You
Blueberry Peach Fruit Salad with Thyme
Ingredients for the recipe:
- four peaches as well as four nectarines
- 1 cup of blueberries along with 2 teaspoons of fresh, chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar and it depends on how sweet the fruit is, if you want, you may be able to skip all together
- Or 1 tablespoon of agave syrup in lieu of water and sugar
Method or Procedure of the recipe:
- If using water and sugar then you can place them into a saucepot and bring them to a boil and liquid so that it is reduced by half into simple syrup. Allow it to cool off.
- Chop up the peaches and nectarines and place them in a bowl with the blueberries and pour it over the cooled simple syrup or agave syrup. After doing this you will be needed to add the thyme, lemon juice, lemon zest as well as the ginger.
- Stir and cover it with plastic wrap then place it in the fridge and allow it to macerate for one hour. After doing all of these steps then your recipe is ready to serve.